• What Are Mycotoxins?

    Mold is a known allergen and respiratory irritant than can lead to health complications. But what about mold actually causes these health issues, and why should mold remediation in The Hamptons be handled with urgency? Molds produce dangerous toxins called mycotoxins, which can be deadly with long-term exposure.

    Mycotoxins are released during mold growth, and can severely decrease indoor air quality. These toxins can enter the lungs as you breathe, resulting in allergic reactions and respiratory issues. They can also contaminate food and water sources, causing illness in pets and humans alike. Without professional mold remediation, mycotoxins can linger for many years after mold dies and lead to continued symptoms without the immediate presence of new mold growth.

    Different kinds of mycotoxins are produced by different mold species, and have varying levels of toxicity. Black mold produces a specific variety known as trichothecenes, which are widely recognized as some of the most dangerous kinds of mycotoxin. Trichothecene mycotoxins are known for inducing a number of dangerous health issues with prolonged exposure, including dry eyes, diarrhea, mental and cognitive issues, bleeding, asthma, and other health issues.

    Mold Allergies