Black Mold Remediation in Moriches, NY
That last big storm did a number on your neighborhood, but your house skated by with seemingly minor water damage. Just about the time you were ready to breathe a well-deserved sigh of relief, you get the news you have black mold. Black mold remediation is something no homeowner wants to endure, but Island Catastrophe Environmental Restoration has the experience and the expertise to make it as easy on you as possible. If you suspect you have toxic black mold in your home, call our office in Moriches, NY, to get the ball rolling on professional black mold remediation.
There’s black mold in my house! Now what do I do?
Start by calling a licensed, insured black mold remediation specialist like Island Catastrophe Environmental Restoration. Depending on the severity of the black mold infestation, you may need to move your family to a hotel, friend’s or relative’s home during the mold removal process. Unfortunately, you’ll have to leave items like stuffed animals, bedding, and most clothing behind, as they may unwittingly carry black mold spores to your temporary lodgings.
I can’t leave now. What harm could staying an extra day or two in my home do?
Plenty! Black mold releases harmful neurotoxins, and prolonged black mold exposure has been shown to cause long-term and sometimes permanent ill effects to human health, including:
- Mood swings
- Weakened immune system
- Hair loss
- Organ failure
- Internal bleeding
If a reputable mold remediation company like Island Catastrophe Environmental Restoration has detected a large-scale black mold infestation in your house, you need to leave your house until the problem has been rectified. Your life may indeed depend on it.
How long does black mold removal typically take?
It depends on the severity of the infestation. If the problem was caught early, it could take as little as one to two days for Island Catastrophe Environmental Restoration to complete the black mold remediation. In cases where the black mold problem was neglected or ignored, five to seven days may be required to thoroughly eradicate the spores and all the black mold colonies.
How much does professional mold removal cost?
Again, this depends on the severity of the infestation. If black mold colonies have been limited to a single room, your mold remediation cost could run approximately $500 to $1,000. If black mold has spread to your ductwork, attic, crawl spaces, or within your walls, then your price tag could ratchet upwards of $2,000 to $6,000, or even higher.
Is black mold removal covered by my homeowner’s insurance?
In many cases, yes. If it is, Island Catastrophe Environmental Restoration will help you file your claim with your insurance provider. If you’re facing the prospect of an intensive black mold remediation that isn’t covered by insurance, Island Catastrophe Environmental Restoration will work with you to find financing options.
What exactly gets done during a black mold removal?
Donning gloves, masks, and protective clothing, your Island Catastrophe Environmental Restoration team will get to work:
- We will turn off all fans, heating, and cooling equipment in your home as these can cause black mold to spread.
- In rooms that have tested positive for black mold, we will use sheets of plastic to seal the area and isolate the black mold colonies.
- Visible mold colonies will be treated with antifungal and/or antimicrobial solutions.
- Powerful air scrubbers and HEPA vacuums will be used to capture any mold spores lingering in the air.
- We clean and sanitize carpeting, furniture, draperies, clothing, and other items determined to be salvageable by our mold remediation specialists.
- We deodorize the home using industrial-grade fogging equipment.
Occasionally, it might be deemed necessary to remove carpeting, drywall, and other porous materials that might harbor black mold colonies. If this is the case with your mold removal job, you will be informed beforehand.
Are harsh chemicals used in the process of mold removal?
Island Catastrophe Environmental Restoration utilizes green cleaning methods whenever and wherever possible, including the area of black mold treatment. We’d be happy to answer any of your questions about our cleaning methods or the products we use, so call our Moriches, NY, office anytime!
Is there any chance the black mold will come back after professional mold remediation?
It’s slight but rest assured Island Catastrophe Environmental Restoration will be proactive in that regard. After the mold remediation process has concluded, we will conduct follow-up tests to make doubly sure your home is free of black mold and stays that way.
What if the black mold infestation has caused structural damage to my home?
If you’ve already called on Island Catastrophe Environmental Restoration for mold remediation, you’re in luck. We are also professional general contractors, who can provide structural repairs. We’ll make your home look like the mold problem never even happened!
How can I make sure black mold never invades my home again?
Here’s the deal: mold is always around, even in the cleanest of environments. Fortunately, most molds are benign and won’t hurt you. Obviously, you can’t do much about floods, hurricanes, or other extreme weather events that lead to black mold infestation, but there are steps you can take to keep a black mold problem from recurring, and it all comes down to moisture control.
- Black mold loves humidity, so if your home is naturally damp, invest in a dehumidifier
- Identify potential problem areas like a roof leak, flood-prone basement, or condensation on a window; all these can contribute to black mold growth
- Keep your home well-ventilated, especially high-moisture areas like kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms
- Replace traditional drywall with mold-resistant drywall
- Invest in gutters and downspouts to keep water from accumulating around your home’s foundation
- Make sure furnace and air conditioner filters are replaced regularly
- Tend to wet areas immediately, including spills on carpets, drips from a leaky pipe, basement flooding following a heavy rain, and don’t leave wet clothes in the washing machine
- Let fresh air in by periodically opening doors and windows
For expert guidance on black mold prevention, call Island Catastrophe Environmental Restoration anytime in Moriches, NY.
Benefits of Working With Us
- Free Estimates
- 24/7 Emergency Service
- EPA Certified
- Over 25 Years of Experience
- Green Cleaning Available
- Experience With Property Insurance Claims