Black Mold Sickness in Moriches, NY
You survived the storm with your house and your sanity relatively intact. Now that the waters have receded and life is supposed to start getting back to normal, suddenly your family is suffering from all kinds of unexplained maladies, from headaches and fatigue, to allergies and difficulty breathing. What gives? The answer could lie in something the water left behind, that you can’t always see—black mold poisoning. Could you have it? Read on, and if all indicators point to black mold sickness, call Island Catastrophe Environmental Restoration without delay!
What is black mold?
Black mold is a fungus belonging to the family of fungi known as Stachybotrys chartarum, or stachybotrys atra. It grows in warm, damp areas, and often appears after a flooding event, such as a pipe freezing, water main failure, or hurricane. It is not the mold itself that is so dangerous, but the toxins that it emits into the surrounding environment. Should these toxins be inhaled by humans, mycotoxicosis, or black mold poisoning, may result.
What are the symptoms of black mold exposure?
Initial symptoms of mycotoxicosis, or black mold poisoning include, but are not limited to:
- Stuffy nose
- Red, itchy eyes
- Itchy skin
For individuals with a compromised immune system, pre-existing mold allergies, or respiratory problems, black mold symptoms tend to be more dire, and may require hospitalization. Look for:
- Feeling exhausted
- Frequent coughing, especially at night
- Allergic reactions
- Chest colds
- Difficulty breathing
If anyone in your household is experiencing the above black mold symptoms, call Island Catastrophe Environmental Restoration immediately for a black mold treatment consultation.
I’ve looked all over my house and can’t find any black mold. Am I in the clear?
Unfortunately, no. Black mold can hide in areas you can’t readily see, such as between wall layers or underneath floorboards or carpets. It’s particularly fond of surfaces that contain high amounts of cellulose, such as fiberboard, wood, gypsum board, or paper. Before you go ripping up your carpets or knocking holes in your drywall, call our team in Moriches, NY. We’ll perform a quick, non-invasive mold testing, and recommend the appropriate black mold treatment.
Black mold treatment is expensive. Can’t I get rid of it with bleach, or let it go away on its own?
Not really, and absolutely not. While household bleach can be effective in eliminating black mold, it takes a professional mold remediation specialist to ensure all traces of mold are thoroughly eradicated. What’s more, trying to address the problem yourself could inadvertently agitate the mold spores, allowing them to start growing in other areas of your house.
As far as hoping that black mold will die off eventually, that rarely happens. Once black mold gets a foothold, it will take over your house if left untreated. We’ll put it this way: stachybotrys chartarum is so insidious and dangerous, several episodes of the TV show “Forensic Files” have been devoted to black mold infestations! Long-term black mold exposure can produce symptoms such as:
- Memory loss
- Trouble concentrating
- Sensitivity to light
- Nerve issues, such as numbness in the hands and feet
- General pain and cramps
- Unexplained weight gain
Don’t risk your family’s health or safety! Call Island Catastrophe Environmental Restoration, and our Moriches, NY, team will find a way to make the costs of black mold remediation workable for you.
Benefits of Working With Us
- Free Estimates
- 24/7 Emergency Service
- EPA Certified
- Over 25 Years of Experience
- Green Cleaning Available
- Experience With Property Insurance Claims